Interested in Postgraduate study in Canada or in the UK?
2020 Scholarships now open: deadline 13 January, 2020 *application form below.
Whether your passion is arts, sciences, business or public policy and if you are bright, brave and ready to make the most of every moment, we would like you to apply.
1. UK Students wishing to study in Canada
Full scholarships are available to British students applying for any year-long postgraduate course with an accredited Canadian further education provider annually. Candidates should be UK citizens and live within the United Kingdom. They should:
- Hold, or expect to hold, a first or upper second-class Honours degree
- Be able to show convincing reasons why they wish to study in Canada.
- Be able to demonstrate leadership and ambassadorial qualities as well as strong academic credentials.
2. NEW as of September 2019: Canadian students wishing to study in the UK
Full scholarships are available to Canadian students applying for any year-long postgraduate course with a UK university. Candidates must live in Canada and;
- Have a convincing reason to study at a top university in the UK (ideally in the Public Policy area)
- Have an offer from the chosen University
- Communicate knowledge of and passion for their subject
- Intend to return to Canada to become a leader
- Have proven, strong academic achievement
- Demonstrate Canadian pride and ambassadorial skills for a connected Canada and Great Britain
- Have relevant work experience (minimum 3 years) and are aged under 28 at the application deadline.
What are we looking for?
For both scholarships, successful candidates will be able to demonstrate leadership and ambassadorial qualities as well as strong academic credentials.
What does the scholarship cover?
The Awards, tenable for one year only, will cover airfares, fees, maintenance, accommodations and other allowances. Candidates applying for courses of more than one year may be required to provide assurances that they have sources of additional funding available to them that will enabled them to complete the course (These awards are not available for study at a doctoral level).
How is the scholarship decision made?
A Panel of Trustees and the Canada Memorial Foundation Academic Committee interview the top candidates selected from the application process early in the New Year. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate their knowledge of and interest in their chosen field of study and their reasons for studying either in Canada or in the UK.
The CMF will:
Cover all tuition fees for one academic year.
Provide scholars with a total cash award of £10,000.00 to cover:
- A monthly stipend of £800.00 for 11 months, paid into the scholar’s UK bank account. The first payment would be on the 1st August (about one month before the start of the programme) and the last would be on the 1st of June.
- An initial payment of £1,200.00 to cover the cost of a return airfare and other travel expenses, payable on 1st July before the programme starts).
Scholars are requested to:
- Provide the CMF with a final written report about their experience in Canada or the UK, as well as up to 4 shorter ‘blog’-style updates that the CMF can use in its online material or as extracts in printed material.
- Attend a number of social events with the Trustees, Academic Committee and other current/former scholars before and after their time away, all aimed at building the community of CMF scholars and potentially raising new funds to support future scholars.